Mites are belonging to the Subclass Acari (or Acarina) and the class Arachnida. Our site follows this Taxonomic framework for Acari based on “A manual of Acarology 3rd edition”, Krantz & Walter, Texas Tech University Press.
The Subclass of mites is divided into Orders. One of these Orders is Trombidiformes and is split into two suborders :
For the time being, all the species presented in this Trombidiformes section are belonging to the Prostigmata. Prostigmata are subdivided in 4 Cohorts :
- Parasitengonina (illustrated on our site)
- Raphignathina (illustrated on our site)
The drop down menu of Trombidiformes is organised per Superfamily. The Cohort level can be selected in the categories widget to filter all the monographies of a given Cohort (example : Parasitengonina or Raphignathina).
Page still under construction. Thanks for your understanding.
- See here a page from lucidcentral.org presenting the Trombidiformes.
- Water mites of North America
- European watermites research
If you are looking for some books on Prostigmata :